Governing Body Mission Statement
- We work with the school to ensure an effective strategic direction whilst fulfilling all of our statutory obligations.
- We help to provide a school where a well-rounded, creative and inspiring education is accessible to all pupils.
- We continually develop the school through forward thinking, shared ambition and a passion to create an amazing place to learn.
Who Are School Governors
Governors are the people who sit on the board that sets the strategic vision of a school, holds the Headteacher to account for its educational performance and makes sure its financial resources are well spent. They use their skills and experience to govern in the best interests of pupils leaving the day to day running of the school to the Headteacher. They set priorities and make strategic decisions in areas such as planning, budgeting, project management, human resources, policy development, health and safety, marketing and change management. Schools are increasingly autonomous and in need of strong governance.
The Role of the Governing Body
White Mere’s Governing Body has a strategic role in the development of the school but does not become involved in the day-to-day management issues – that is the role of the Headteacher.
We are here to:
- Provide a strategic view – help to set and maintain the broad framework within which the Headteacher and staff should run the school
- Act as a critical friend – provide the Headteacher with support and offer advice and information but also to provide some challenge. The governing body is there to monitor and evaluate the school’s effectiveness and governors should therefore be prepared to ask challenging questions
- To ensure accountability – the Headteacher and staff report to the governing body on the school’s performance. In turn the governing body is accountable to all stakeholders on the school’s overall performance.
Click here to learn more about the role of the Governing Body and its sub-committees.
Governing Body Committee Structure
|Name||Governor Type||Term of Office Starts/Expires||Body Appointed/Elected by||Committees||Relevant Pecuniary Interests*||Lead Areas and Links|
|Keith Anderson||Co-opted Governor (Chair)||01/01/14 to 01/01/18||Governing Body||
|Michelle Harrison||Co-opted Governor (Vice Chair)||20/04/15 to 20/04/19||Governing Body||
|Alan Davies||Co-opted Governor||01/01/14 to 01/01/18||Governing Body||
||Governor at Colegate Primary||
|Cllr Linda Green||Co-opted Governor||01/01/14 to 01/01/18||Governing Body||
||Governor at Roman Road Primary|
|Helen Hutchinson||Co-opted Governor||01/01/14 to 01/01/18||Governing Body||
|Gary Mitchelson (Resigned October 2017)||Co-opted Governor||12/07/16 to 31/10/2017||Governing Body||
||None||Data Analysis and Assessment|
|Cllr Stuart Green||Local Authority Governor||21/10/16 to 01/01/18||Governing Body (from LA nomination)||
||Governor at Heworth Grange Comp|
|Chris Boddy||Headteacher||N/A||Governing Body||
|Jonathan Noble||Staff Governor||08/03/17 to 08/03/21||Staff – Elected||TBC||None|
|Alan Pitchers||Associate Governor||06/09/2016 to 06/09/2020||Governing Body||
||Governor at Heworth Grange Comp|
|Alison Bullock||Parent Governor||26/01/15 to 26/01/19||Parents – Elected||
|David Tait||Parent Governor||01/06/15 to 01/06/19||Parents – Elected||
*as recorded in register of interests at Governing Body meeting on 03/12/15.
**In addition to the Headteacher, any governor may attend if requested.
Record of Governors Attendance 2017–2018
|Name||Full Governing Body||Finance and Staffing||Premises, Health and Safety||Curriculum and Pupils/Monitoring|
|Cllr Linda Green||–||–||N/A||–|
|Gary Mitchelson (Resigned October 2017)||–||–||N/A||–|
|Cllr Stuart Green||–||N/A||–||–|
How to Become a School Governor
If you’d like to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of School Governors or you are interested in becoming one, please visit the Gateshead Governors website. Alternatively, you can speak to the Headteacher or the Chair of Governors who will be able to provide further information.