At White Mere, we believe reading is a fundamental skill needed to ensure our pupils achieve successfully throughout their lives. It is not simply the decoding of words on a page. It also involves the ability to read with understanding, a wide range of different types of texts including fiction and non-fiction, and real world texts such as labels, captions and lists, and print in the environment.
Confidence and enjoyment in reading is key to independent learning, and also has a direct impact upon children’s progress in every area of the curriculum. Therefore the effective teaching of reading and the celebration of reading for enjoyment, throughout our school is a key priority.
Reading is taught regularly and skills reinforced across the curriculum. At White Mere, we teach reading through a combination of approaches:
- Focused literacy lessons
- Whole class shared reading
- Guided reading outside the literacy hour
- Daily phonics sessions outside the literacy hour
- Paired and group reading by pupils
- Individual reading sessions (KS1)
- Application of key reading skills through the creative curriculum
- Library time for free reading and introduction to new texts
- Home reading with parents
- Introducing authors as role models
- Celebrating annual book events – World Book Day
- Travelling book fairs
Please click on the link to download a copy of our Reading Policy.